Wednesday, November 20, 2013

San Juan Island Part 1

I took a trip up to Washington last month. The purpose was to visit San Juan Island and I was fortunate to get incredibly nice weather. I'll start the photos chronologically and because there are a lot, in this blog post will be the first 2 days of my trip. I flew into Seattle airport and drove up to Anacortes where I camped at Washington park. I made it there just in time for the sunset and my favorite photo of the night was of a house on the water near Sunset beach.

I also got a few fall leaf photos in on the first day.  




On my second day, I got on the ferry out to Friday Harbor first thing in the morning. I got to watch the sun rise while I waited to drive the car onto to the ferry (which was a first for me!) The ferry ride was nice and I took a few photos of some of the over 400 islands that make up the San Juan Islands. Below is Blakely Island with Frost Island in the background.

When I arrived at Friday Harbor I went kayaking in search for Orcas (killer whales). We didn't get to see any orcas, but it was an amazing trip. Below are some photos from the trip.

Herring gull (Larus argentatus) chick and (possible) parent. October is much too late for this young one to be begging for food. Hopefully the parent learns some tough loving techniques!

Harbor seal (Phoca vitulina) resting on a rock.

Harbor seal (Phoca vitulina) with a lingcod.

Red-breasted merganzer (Mergus serrator)





Harlequin ducks (Histrionicus histrionicus)





... Part 2 is coming soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment