Monday, November 25, 2013

San Juan Island: Part 2

Welcome back! Here are some more photos from my trip to Washington last month. These photos are from day 3 which was spent traveling around and exploring the island. San Juan isn't too big, but there is a ton to explore. I started the morning at Roche harbor.
Looking over Roche Harbor
Fall colors


Roche Harbor at sunrise
The mouth of Roche Harbor.




After leaving Roche harbor, I traveled over to the west side of the island where I was also camping that evening (At San Juan county park). SJI has a lot of Madrona (also called madrone, Arbutus menziesii) trees. These trees are known for their stunning red bark that peels off.

Madrona tree (Arbutus menziesii) bark

Madrona tree (Arbutus menziesii) bark peeling

Madrona tree (Arbutus menziesii)

While at the park and waiting for the sun to set, I saw Columbia black-tailed deer (Odocoileus hemionus columbianus). This pair was a mom/fawn.


Columbia black-tailed deer (Odocoileus hemionus columbianus)
Columbia black-tailed deer fawn (Odocoileus hemionus columbianus)
Columbia black-tailed deer (Odocoileus hemionus columbianus)
  I also watched a hungry red-breasted nuthatch (Sitta canadensis). 
Red-breasted nuthatch (Sitta canadensis)

Red-breasted nuthatch (Sitta canadensis)


Moon rising over the trees



The end of photography for the day was the sunset. Since I was on the west side of the island, I watched the sun set behind British Columbia (which I was close enough to that my phone thought I was in Canada and texted me the outrageous roaming rates!)

To end this blog post, I am going to start the 4th day. I did a little more island exploration before heading out on a whale watching boat in the afternoon. I started at False Bay (which is on the southwest side of the island) and it was a bit foggy and low tide which made the bay look somewhat prehistoric.

Then I headed down to the southern tip of the island which was mostly closed due to the government shutdown. I saw another mom/fawn pair of Columbia black-tailed deer on the cliff above Eagle cove. 
Columbia black-tailed deer (Odocoileus hemionus columbianus)



And with that, I will wait until the next blog post for the whale watching trip and my final day in Washington. Stay tuned!





No comments:

Post a Comment