Sunday, October 12, 2014

Peru: Part two! Manu National Forest

There was a long gap, but I am finally able to post some more pictures from Peru! Unfortunately, right after my last post, my computer broke and I was without for the rest of my trip. I am now back in the US and able to post-process photos.

Today I thought I would start off just with some shots from Wayqecha where I was working in the Cusco region of Peru. Our field site was at about 2900 meter elevation. The weather was very mild- 40s-70s usually and lots of fog. It rained anywhere from 1-4 days a week, but usually not for very long. There was a lot of dry lightning/thunder at night. My time at Wayqecha was broken up into 2 halves. The first half was July 17-Aug16. In that time I didn't ride in a car, walked a lot of steep paths, held a few hummingbirds and took a lot of photos. The following photos are from the first work half.

Shining Sunbeam (Aglaeactis cupripennis) at an Oreocallis flower. These guys get their name from the patch of color on their back, usually a whole rainbow of color, this one only has a little purple on the butt.

Andean lady (Vanessa altissima). These were the most abundant of the butterflies present.

Rufous antpitta (Grallaria rufula). These birds are quite adorable. They hop around on the forest floor and have giant cartoon-like eyes.

Rufous antpitta (Grallaria rufula)

Some unknown pollinator- If anyone knows the name, please share!

Blue-capped tanager (Thraupis cyanoephala)

Andean silverspot (Dione glycera)

A displaying pair of sparkling violetears (Colibri coruscans). I have a lot of pictures of this species- they are abundant at many different elevations.

Amethyst-throated sunangel (Heliangelus amethysticollis). This is the territorial male who liked to monopolize the feeder by our tents. In my opinion one of the most beautiful hummingbirds in Peru.

Shining sunbeam (Aglaeactis cupripennis), aka Lola. This was one of our tagged hummingbirds- my favorite of the ones we tagged.

No comments:

Post a Comment