Sunday, November 2, 2014

Starting off with a hoatzin

Today is part two of the Peruvian amazon in Manu. During the week I was at Villa Carmen, I was able to spend all day with my camera. This means there are a lot of photos to post. I think there will be a few more posts from the lowlands.

Hoatzins (Opisthocomus hoazin) are so odd. They all hung out in this one group of trees at sunset every day. It was fun to go check them out, but they spook so easily! They also have the weirdest mohawks going on.

Another photo of my favorite birds of the trip. Long-tailed tyrant (Colonia colonus) male (top, flying down) and female with a nice grub snack. I am guessing the male decided to steal the grub from the lady. Not too classy, ha.

Blue and yellow macaw (Ara ararauna). This bird is one of the Villa Carmen residents who also almost flew right into my tent one day during a nap!

Scarlet macaw (Ara macao). Another one of the resident macaws at Villa Carmen.

Thyridia glasswing (Thyridia psidii ino)

Sapphire-spangled emerald (Amazilia lactea)

Russet-backed oropendola (Psarocolius angustifrons) carrying nesting materials.

Red-capped cardinal (Paroaria gularis)
Sarepta glasswing (Hypoleria sarepta vitiosa)

The last two photos are of the waterfall at Villa Carmen. I couldn't decide which I liked better, so I just put up both.


No comments:

Post a Comment